“More than 100 apartments, a grocery store and flexible office space are coming to McKinley Park.
“Developer IBT Group LLC secured the city’s backing to redevelop a massive warehouse at 1717-1769 W. Pershing Road, officials announced last week. The 6.5-acre site includes a vacant, six-story, 571,000-square-foot warehouse known as the Quartermaster Depot at 1769 W. Pershing Road, according to the planning department. It was built in 1918 for the U.S. Army.
“The $121 million project will bring 120 apartments, a 50,000-square-foot grocery store and more than 200,000 square feet for an ‘innovative office hub and technology incubator’ to the site. The project involves cutting out the middle of the warehouse for an interior courtyard and to bring in light, but developers will preserve the entire historical façade of the building, officials said. Developers previously said the building would have an expansive rooftop with green space, gazebos and a running trail open to the public.
“The city received five proposals for the site in October, officials said. An evaluation committee made up of city officials and neighbors whittled it down to three, officials previously said. IBT Group’s plans ranked highest on the committee’s scoring system and placed first on a community survey that got more than 200 responses, according to the city’s planning department.
“Ald. Julia Ramirez (12th) said she’s excited to see the project moving forward. ‘An adaptive reuse of the former warehouse building will not only help maintain the historic integrity of the Central Manufacturing District but also revitalize the Pershing corridor, which has been vacant or underutilized for many years,’ Ramirez said in a statement.
“The project could get financial support from the city — as much as $25 million in Tax Increment Financing (TIF) funding pending formal review and an approval process that involves a vote of the full City Council, officials said.” (Savedra, Block Club Chicago, 9/12/23)
- Apartments, Grocery Store Coming To City-Owned Warehouse In McKinley Park; The $121 million project aims to bring 120 apartments, a grocery store and office space to the Quartermaster Depot site, Madison Savedra, Block Club Chicago, 9/12/23
- Chicago developer picked to revamp big McKinley Park warehouse, Danny Ecker, Crain’s Chicago Business, 9/7/23
- Gary Pachucki’s IBT wins McKinley Park development site with $121M plan; Firm beat out two others for the 6.5 acre site, The Real Deal, 9/11/23
- City selects mixed-use redevelopment project for McKinley Park warehouse
chicago, CBS Chicago, 9/7/23
- City announces winner of Pershing Road RFP; The project is located at 1769 W. Pershing in McKinley Park, Lukas Kugler, Urbanize Chicago, 9/8/23
- 1769 W. Pershing Road RFP from the City of Chicago
- City and community seek new life for historic former industrial park; The Central Manufacturing District has been largely uninhabited in recent decades, leaving many of these important buildings unused — and unprotected, Lee Bey, Chicago Sun-Times, 2/4/23
- Red Brick And Terra Cotta Tower On Pershing Road Is One Of South Side’s Overlooked Gems; Lee Bey’s Overlooked Buildings Of The South Side: The Central Manufacturing District Tower at 2000 W. Pershing Road, Block Club Chicago, 10/7/19
- Central Manufacturing District: Pershing Road. A 2020 Chicago 7 Most Endangered