“The Glessner House was built in 1887. What manufacturing magnate John J. Glessner imagined as a cozy, inviting home was seen as an eyesore to neighbors underwhelmed by its curb appeal. Built in the Richardsonian Romanesque style — a mixture of 11th and 12th century French, Spanish and Italian Romanesque characteristics — the home was distinctive for its time. Architect H. H. Richardson took a minimalist approach to design and installed an interior courtyard.
“The national landmark changed hands several times before being saved by a group of architects and preservationists in the mid-’60s. Public tours began in 1971, the house kept afloat through philanthropic efforts from individual donations and foundational support. It was named a National Historic Landmark in 1976.
“The city grant would help leaders complete roof work for the 134-year-old structure. With fundraising covering two-thirds of the cost, the $100,000 grant will help Glessner House reach its $300,000 goal for repairs.
“‘In many ways, the efforts to save the home ushered in the modern preservation movement,’ said William Tyre, executive director and curator of Glessner House. ‘Since that time, it’s been extensively restored to its original appearance. The Glessner family has returned virtually all of the original furnishings, many of which were custom made for the family and the house.’ (Nesbitt Golden, Block Club Chicago, 12/3/21)
Read the full story at Block Club Chicago
A Historic Bronzeville Church And A South Loop House Museum In Line For Critical Upgrades Thanks To City Grant; Six-figure grants for Ebenezer Missionary Baptist Church and the Glessner House in the Adopt-A-Landmark program will allow the buildings to get necessary roof repairs, Jamie Nesbitt Golden, Block Club Chicago, 12/3/21