“The Commission on Chicago Landmarks today honored 12 exceptional development projects at the 2021 ‘Preservation Excellence Awards,’ including the restoration of Union Station, the adaptive reuse of the former Cook County Hospital, the rehabilitation of two 19th century homes in the Old Edgebrook District, and the adaptive reuse of the former West Pullman School.
“The awards, established in 1999, are presented annually to individuals, nonprofit organizations, businesses, and public agencies that have worked to preserve Chicago’s architectural and cultural heritage. Honored during a virtual award ceremony, the winners were chosen from dozens of projects reviewed by the Landmarks Commission’s Permit Review Committee over the last year.
“‘Whether reimagining a Chicago icon like the Old Main Post Office, or awakening a ‘sleeping beauty’ like the shuttered 1894 school in Pullman, each of the projects honored today represents an enormous commitment to preserving Chicago’s past,’ said Commissioner Maurice Cox of the Department of Planning and Development (DPD), which provides staff services to the Commission on Chicago Landmarks.
Established in 1999, the awards recognize a wide range of efforts to preserve, restore and promote the City’s architectural heritage.
- Union Station, 500 W. Jackson Blvd.
- Former Cook County Hospital, 1835 W. Harrison St.
- Old Chicago Main Post Office Building, 404 W. Harrison St.
- Former West Pullman School, 11941 S. Parnell Ave.
- Jewelers Building, 15 S. Wabash Ave.
- Givins Castle, 10244 S. Longwood Drive (Longwood Drive District)
- 2245 S. Michigan Ave. (Motor Row District)
- 6203 N. Lundy Ave. (Old Edgebrook District)
- 6219 N. Lundy Ave. (Old Edgebrook District)
- 4649 N. Broadway (Uptown Square District)
- 1134 E. 44th St. (North Kenwood Multiple Resource District)
- 4404 S. Berkeley Ave. (North Kenwood Multiple Resource District)
More information at City of Chicago Landmarks Commission website