“In Chicago’s Ukrainian Village, the landmarked St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Church at 921 N. Hoyne Avenue has been transformed into nine high-end condo units known as The Revival. Though located in a famously Ukrainian neighborhood, the old church was completed in 1905 by a congregation of German immigrants. Notable architects Henry Worthmann and John Steinbach designed the Gothic Revival style building which later went on to house a Seventh Day Adventist Church before hitting the market.
“Regency Development Group purchased the property for $1.1 million in 2013, DNAinfo reported at the time. The company originally planned to convert both the church and adjacent St. John School building into a 19-unit condo development known as The Belfry. Regency divided the property into two pieces and focused on the church portion.
“The conversion has taken some time to complete, partly due to the site becoming a Chicago landmark. The designation required a careful renovation of the 114-year-old structure’s masonry and stone exterior and historical stained glass. Inside, older architectural details such as arched windows and exposed brick wall meet contemporary residential finishes.” (Koziarz, 8/6/19)