WIN: City of Chicago Announces $8.23M of Adopt-a-Landmarking Funding for the Restoration of 13 Designated Chicago Landmarks

Greater Union Baptist Church, 1888, William Le Baron Jenney, 1956 W. Warren Blvd. Photo credit: Chicago DPD
Former Mid-City Trust and Savings Bank, 1912, Horatio R. Wilson, 801 W. Madison St. Photo credit: Pappageorge Haymes Partners
Double Door / Wilson Avenue Theater, 1909, Henry L. Ottenheimer, 1050 W. Wilson Avenue. Photo credit: Google Maps
Pioneer Arcade, 1925, Jens J. Jensen, 1535 N. Pulaski Road. Photo Credit: City of Chicago Department of Planning & Development
IIT Main Building, 1893, Patton & Fisher, 3300 S. Federal St. Photo credit: Eric Allix Rogers
IIT Crown Hall/ S.R. Crown Hall, 1956, Mies van der Rohe, 3360 S. State St. Photo credit: Eric Allix Rogers
St. Nicholas Ukrainian Catholic Cathedral, 1915, Worthmann & Steinbach, 835 N. Oakley Blvd. Photo credit: Eric Allix Rogers
Aragon Ballroom, 1926, Huszagh & Hill, 1106 W. Lawrence Ave. Photo credit: Chicago Architecture Center

“Adopt-A-Landmark grants valued at more than $8 million will help restore more than a dozen historic buildings citywide, including former banks in Austin and the Near West Side, a pair of performance venues in Uptown, and a former brewery-tied house in Englewood, Mayor Brandon Johnson announced today.

“‘From iconic theaters to historic churches, these grants signify our dedication to ensuring Chicago’s landmarks not only reflect our past but also contribute vibrantly to our future,’ Mayor Brandon Johnson said. ’This $8 million investment underscores our commitment to enriching our communities and preserving the architectural gems that define our city’s character.’

“Selected from 31 proposals submitted to the Department of Planning and Development’s Historic Preservation Division in 2023, the grants will help pay for qualified interior and exterior restoration work valued at more than $150 million. Projects were evaluated based on readiness, location, impact, funding, and need, among other criteria.

“‘By providing critical financing for projects in need, these grants ensure Chicago’s landmarks are as much a part of the city’s future as the past,’ DPD Commissioner Ciere Boatright said.

The award amounts and projects include:

Former Laramie State Bank, 5200 W. Chicago Ave., Austin
$2.09 million for terra cotta repairs and window and door replacement; part of a $16.3 million restoration of a vacant, 1928 bank for commercial uses.
First Baptist Congregational Church, 1613 W. Washington Blvd., Near West Side
$1.46 million to complete restoration work to a church bell tower that dates to 1871.
Former Mid-City Trust Bank, 801 W. Madison Ave., Near West Side
$1.3 million to preserve a 112-year-old bank building as part of a $53 million adaptive re-use as a hotel and retail space.
Double Door, 1050 W. Wilson Ave., Uptown
$125,000 for the window and masonry component of a $9.9 million conversion of a 1909 theater as a performance venue.
Pioneer Arcade, 1535 N. Pulaski, Humboldt Park
$510,000 to help restore the terra cotta facade and interior lobby of a former recreation complex built in 1925; part of a $23.5 million residential conversion.
Aragon Ballroom, 1106 W. Lawrence Ave., Uptown
$250,000 for the masonry component of a $1.9 million restoration of a 98-year-old ballroom.
St. Nicholas Ukrainian Catholic Church, 2238 W. Rice St., West Town
$250,000 for window restoration at a 1915 church cathedral that’s undergoing a $6 million restoration.
IIT Main Building, 3300 S. Federal St., Douglas
$500,000 to assist with the $42 million adaptive reuse of a former 1893 university structure as mixed-income apartments.
IIT Crown Hall, 3360 S. State St., Douglas
$250,000 to support the $500,000 restoration of the main entry steps and porch to the Mies Van der Rohe-designed 1956 university building.
Greater Union Baptist Church, 1956 W. Warren Blvd., Near West Side
$750,000 for priority masonry restoration work to an 1886 church building.
Wicker Park Lutheran Church, 1500 N. Hoyne Ave., West Town
$250,000 for window restoration work; part of a $448,474 rehab of a 1907 church building.
Former Schlitz Brewery-Tied House, 958 W. 69th St., Englewood
$250,000 for the roof and masonry component of a $313,900 project to convert a vacant, 1898 tavern into a café.
Canaan Baptist Church, 6659 S. Harvard Ave., Englewood
$246,659 for the restoration of benches and pews within a 119-year-old sanctuary.

Preservation Chicago is thrilled by this announcement. We have long advocated on behalf of 11 of the 13 selected, and in a few cases, worked closely with stakeholders to draft and submit the Adopt-a-Landmark application. This marks a wonderful step forward to Laramie State Bank and IIT Main Building were both previously Chicago 7 Most Endangered. This is one of the ways that Preservation Chicago catalyzes millions of investment dollars in Chicago Landmarks which helps to create healthy communities.

Read the full press release at the City of Chicago website

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

− 5 = 2

Captcha verification failed!
CAPTCHA user score failed. Please contact us!