In response to growing concern over the deteriorating condition of the Fifth Church of Christ Scientist/later known as Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church, due to its long-term vacancy, Preservation Chicago has redoubled its efforts to find a patron for this building. Designed by Solon S. Beman in 1905, the church is located at 4820 S. Dorchester Avenue in the Hyde Park – Kenwood Landmark District. The effort has yielded initial positive results and a preservation-sensitive developer is potentially interested in purchasing and adaptively reusing this contributing building in a Chicago Landmark District.
Preservation Chicago appeared along with concerned members of the Hyde Park – Kenwood Community at the Building Court hearing on November 30, 2017. The current owner has been non-responsive and the emergency demolition of the rear portion of the building was discussed during the hearing. Preservation Chicago continues to advocate to prevent demolition of this important historic landmark and continues to try to bring more preservation-oriented parties into the conversation. Another Building Court hearing is scheduled for December 14, 2017 at Daley Center, 11th Floor. All interested individuals and organizations are encouraged to attend.