THREATENED: 90-Day Demolition Delay List

The Demolition Delay Ordinance, adopted by City Council in 2003, establishes a hold of up to 90 days in the issuance of any demolition permit for certain historic buildings in order that the Department of Planning and Development can explore options, as appropriate, to preserve the building, including but not limited to Landmark designation.

The ordinance applies to buildings rated red and orange in the Chicago Historic Resources Survey (CHRS), but it should be modified to include all buildings included in the survey. These buildings are designated on the city’s zoning map. The delay period starts at the time the permit application is presented to the department’s Historic Preservation Division offices and can be extended beyond the original 90 days by mutual agreement with the applicant. The purpose of the ordinance is to ensure that no important historic resource can be demolished without consideration as to whether it should and can be preserved.

Preservation Chicago is advocating to extend the existing Demolition Delay Ordinance to at least 180 days or longer, in order to create the time community members, stakeholders, decision makers, and elected officials need to conduct robust discussions regarding the fate of these historic buildings and irreplaceable Chicago assets. The support of the Mayor and City Council is necessary to advance this effort.

Additional Reading

City of Chicago Demolition Delay Hold List (2021)

Address: 1325 W. Carmen Avenue, Andersonville

Date Received: 05/17/2022
Ward: 47th Ald. Matt Martin
Applicant: Demox, Inc. C/O Vitalii Grygorashchujk
Owner: Jerald and Pamela Kreis
Permit Description: Wreck and removal of a 2-1/2 story frame residential building.

Status: Under review

1325 W. Carmen Avenue, Andersonville. Photo Credit: Redfin

Address: 25251-5257 N. Kenmore Avenue, Edgewater

Date Received: 05/12/2022
Ward: 48th Ald. Harry Osterman
Applicant: Heneghan Wrecking & Excavating Co., Inc.
Owner: LS 5251, LLC C/O Steve Ciaccio
Permit Description: Demolition of a one- and two-story masonry church building with a basement.

Status: Application withdrawn 05/17/2022

Epworth United Methodist Church, 1890, designed by architect Frederick Townsend, with additions by Fred J. Thielbar of the architectural firm of Theilbar & Fugard, 5253 N. Kenmore Ave. Photo credit: Ward Miller / Preservation Chicago

Owner Of Edgewater’s Epworth Church Withdraws Demolition Permit As Landmark Process Moves Forward; The buyer of the 130-year-old church sought a demolition permit for a condo development. Those plans have changed after Ald. Harry Osterman endorsed landmark status for the church, Joe Ward, Block Club Chicago, 5/19/22

Osterman Wants To Landmark Epworth Church After Developer Moves To Demo 130-Year-Old Building; A developer is seeking to demolish the Epworth Church that dates back to the early days of Edgewater, but preservationists hope to save it, Joe Ward, Block Club Chicago, 5/16/22

130-Year-Old Edgewater Church Hosting Final Service Sunday After Being Sold, Leaving Building’s Future Unclear; Neighbors have been told Epworth United Methodist Church at Kenmore and Berwyn could be demolished, but Ald. Harry Osterman said he believes the owner will reuse the building, Joe Ward, Block Club Chicago, 5/13/22

Address: 2109 W. Wilson Ave., Ravenswood

Date Received: 04/14/2022
Applicant: Moss Design, Inc.
Owner: Ellen Bradley
Permit Description: Partial demolition of a two-story, masonry residential building to accommodate a two-story side and rear addition.

Status: Under Review

2109 W. Wilson Ave., Ravenswood. Photo Credit: Google Maps

Address: 344-346 W. 65th St., Englewood

Date Received: 03/14/2022
Ward: 20th Ald. Jeanette Taylor
Applicant: McDonagh Demolition, Inc.
Owner: City of Chicago
Permit Description: Emergency wreck and removal of a two-story, multiple-unit, masonry building per an Administrative Order dated October 20, 2021, deemed to be imminently dangerous to the public and in hazardous condition.

Status: Released 3/17/22

344-346 W. 65th St., Englewood. Photo credit: Google Maps

Address: 3920-3922 N. Lincoln Ave., Lake View

Date Received: 02/23/2022
Ward: 47th Ald. Matt Martin
Applicant: Longford Design, Development + Construction C/O Brian Connolly
Owner: 3914 N. Lincoln
Permit Description: Demolition of a three-story masonry building.

Status: Released 05/24/2022

3920-3922 N. Lincoln Ave., Lake View. Photo credit: Google Maps

Address: New Devon Theater / Assyrian American, 1618 W. Devon Ave., Rogers Park

Date Received: 12/3/2021
Ward: 40th Ald. Andre Vasquez
Applicant: Alpine Demolition Services, LLC
Owner: Doris Eneamokwu
Permit Description: Opening of closed existing windows, install new window frame and glazing, repair existing glazed brick as needed (tuckpointing) [removal of ornamental masonry panel]

Status: Under review

Decorative Terra Cotta Ornament Stripped from New Devon Theater / Assyrian American Association on September 2, 2021. New Devon Theater, 1912, Henry J. Ross, 1618 W. Devon Avenue. Photo Credit: Photo Credit: Belli @bellisaurius

“As of September 2, 2021 it seems that the beautiful terra cotta face that has looked down over Devon Avenue for more than 100 years is no more. No one is quite sure what happened, but there was scaffolding on the building and someone was chipping away at it in the morning, and it was gone by the afternoon. And the Assyrian American Association name is no longer on the building either.

“The New Devon Theater, with its distinctively austere glazed block façade featuring a large arch and a large bust of a woman’s face, was built in 1912, and was quickly eclipsed by the nearby Ellantee Theater. It disappears from news listings after October, 1917.

“By 1923 it had been converted to a Ford dealership. By 1936 it had become an American Legion hall. In the 1950s it operated as a radio and TV store. Since 1963, it has served Chicago’s Assyrian community as the home of the Assyrian American Association of Chicago.” Cinema

Historical Terra Cotta Removed And Thrown Out From Protected Rogers Park Building, Leading To Stop Work Order; City officials say workers removed historical façade features from the 1912 movie house at 1618 W. Devon Ave. without proper permits. The new owner said she didn’t know it was protected, Joe Ward, Block Club Chicago, 10/28/21


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here
Captcha verification failed!
CAPTCHA user score failed. Please contact us!