Grand Central Station, Chicago
Architect: Solon S. Beman
Location: Southwest corner of S. Wells and W. Harrison Streets
“Architecturally, no other Chicago station approached Solon S. Beman’s monumental Grant Central of 1890. Its Norman tower, rising 247 feet at the corner of Harrison and Wells Streets, contained an 11,000-pound bell to warn travellers of the time, and its iron-and-glass train shed was one of the marvels of nineteenth-century engineering. The station also housed a deluxe hotel and was the departure point for the Baltimore & Ohio’s all-Pullman Capital Limited, the favored transport of Washington-bound Midwest politicians. The prominent Chicago architect Harry Weese called the razing of Grand Central Station in 1971 an act of “wanton destruction”.” (Lost Chicago, David Lowe, page 57)
Preservation Chicago is committed to strengthening the vibrancy of Chicago’s economy and quality of life by championing our historic built environment. Preservation Chicago protects and revitalizes Chicago’s irreplaceable architecture, neighborhoods and urban green spaces. We influence stakeholders toward creative reuse and preservation through advocacy, outreach, education, and partnership.